Friday, June 01, 2007

 

JSH: War of attrition

The Math Wars are to me all about how some people with position and power forget the power of the pen, and sit letting the pot slowly come to a boil.

When I feel a bit down—like if insulting posters start getting to me—I can do things like do Google searches on my open source project "Class Viewer" which took the number one spot for that search string, years ago.

It is all over the world. I especially feel honored looking at the Chinese page, where words I typed years ago to describe my project have been translated.

That is an odd feeling. And that is just one thing.

Just a few days ago I started talking about a "managed copy" idea of mine and just typing up a post on my blog I found myself talking about it as digital media equipment self-encryption and of course went to the initials to designate it DMESE.

That is just one more thing.

Archimedes said that with a level long enough and a place to stand he could move the world because he could conceive of greatness on a scale that most people cannot.

I can move the world.

Not one of you can say the same.

My posts get translated to languages across the planet. I watch ideas of mine travel around the world.

Yet I am still stopped by academics who are dead-set on fighting the Math Wars to the bitter end, and mostly they just wait.

Yes, Princeton academics can stop me today. Yes, Harvard academics can hold the line today.

But they burn everything their universities have built up over the years in the process and I let them.

I emailed the University of California at Berkeley to note some unethical behavior by Arturo Magidin, and noticed at that point that Ralph McKenzie is listed as faculty, where it notes he is at my alma mater Vanderbilt University.

Yup, I know that as I visited him there years ago, before my paper was published, retracted after sci.math'ers including Magidin trumped the formal peer review system with some emails, and the freaking math journal died.

Academics can only sit and wait, while I move forward over time. Knowing that at the end, I go for the entire system to reform it.

And I will change their world.

I send papers to math journals and I damn well get a reply. Sure, they're polite rejections but they had better reply to me.

You people don't get it because I post among you, and you think that because I post I must be at your level.

Yeah only to use you in the Math Wars. I want mathematicians around the world to keep thinking about what you are thinking. I want them working hard to figure out how well they have you in hand.

I want them working to keep you.

I want them to demean themselves, crawl on their hands and knees to keep you believing in them.

And they are doing it.

While the war of attrition continues and it is all about inertia and momentum as I have always needed time.

If the world knew too quickly what my discoveries really are, then the true targets could have escaped, but now the net closes, and you are the fish that were always part of the trap.

You were always the bait.

They care so damn much about what you people think of them that they are willing to lose everything, grasping for what they cannot hold.

Public opinion is such a great thing. I love it. Public opinion is all about perception.

People like Andrew Wiles are nothing without the applause or the dreams of it. They'll hold on, and hold on, and hold on, and give their energy, their very life blood to hold on to it, even if that is the means that is used to build the energy to end the wars.

They give their life's blood for you to believe in them. And that is the energy that drives this forward.

That is the hope of the world.

It was always about time. I have always needed time.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?