Friday, January 12, 2007

 

JSH: Yeah from scratch

I started thinking about counting prime numbers having never bothered to read what mathematicians had on the subject. It just didn't seem that important to check on what was previously known so I did it all from scratch.

So I discovered what had never been found before, which can be forced down to something very similar to what was found, but you have to force it.

Naturally it's like nothing else—it finds the list of primes it needs on its own.

I think that story really upsets mathematicians because they don't do anything from scratch.

They love this monolithic building on what came before, so to get started on research they first immerse themselves on what was already done.

If I'd bothered to even do a web search on "prime counting" I'd never have made my discovery as I'd have looked at what was known and wandered off from the subject.

Mathematicians HATE from scratch. It may be for them the worst part of my story, as I found results not far from what was already known, but generation after generation of mathematicians just travel down the same trails first and then try to extend on what was already known.

I just set off in my own direction never bothering to check, as I just didn't care about what was previously known.

I simply did not care.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?