Tuesday, January 02, 2007

 

JSH: How much money?

I am brainstorming a legal solution to a problem where I am using the same problem solving tools that I used to get my mathematical research.

The outlines of the legal solution emerging from this process might open the door to lawsuits against universities anywhere in the world for a breach of trust by academics at those schools who just inexplicably decide to ignore research that doesn't help their own careers.

So how much money could be in this for trial attorneys seeking new territory?

Harvard University alone has over $2 billion US in its endowment.

And if people are listening to academics dragged to the stand to testify about why they decided that some provably important research wasn't worth their time, possibly all chanting the same mantra about academic freedom and their right to ignore anything they freaking well want to ignore?

Why not punitive damages in the tens of millions or even in the hundreds of millions when these Ivory Tower eggheads confront regular people who think that hey, living in society means taking care of more than just yourself?

Any of you who are professors really want to roll the dice? Face a legal argument that can put you on the stand talking to regular people instead of fawning students?

Why do it?

I still want another option.

But you people need to understand how fast extreme problem solving is.

I am starting to feel a little bit of concern on this one as I'm not actually interested at this time in taking a legal option, but was thinking it'd be better to start the problem solving process going just in case.

I started this thinking it was all just in case I needed it down the line.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?