Saturday, December 30, 2006

 

Math fraud, any options?

So let's say for the sake of argument that an outsider makes some mathematical discoveries that challenge enough of the established ideas in the field that mathematicians uniformly over a period of years just refuse to acknowledge the results, are there any options?

I think the uniformity of it is what has been the biggest surprise for me, and it's a bit more complicated as at times I've gotten agreement from mathematicians on a lot of my major research, like that publication in the math journal.

What happens afterwards is the SOCIETY of mathematicians in some way come in to clean up, and this mathematician or that just chooses to go quiet or reverse themselves.

Usually they just go quiet.

So I'm the only champion of my own research unable to get any sustained support from any mathematicians.

So it's not like I don't get support or agreement, it's that individual mathematicians refuse to face the group, while you can see a lot of outright group hostility on math newsgroups.

Any options with such a situation?

[A reply to someone who wondered whether James had considered not using Usenet, since it such a source of pain for him.]

Usenet is a PUBLIC resource. People like you who push others to leave Usenet are like a gang of teenagers trying to take over a public park for "their" people.

Repeatedly though posters will admit they attack me in posts simply to try and convince me to quit, as they abuse the freedoms given by Usenet, which goes to the argument that Usenet is too free, and provably that is bad for society as abusers of the system run wild, and that has a social impact as can be seen with what has happened with my research.

That is how this case can impact Usenet, as if I pursue civil litigation and win, the next step will be arguing that the format of Usenet is too open, and that there is a substantial social cost in letting it remain so open because abusers find it too easy to operate forcing victims to go to extreme measures—like court—and abusers clearly are confident under this current system.

So Usenet would have to change and could be forcibly changed.

I want other options people. Many of you sit back while others abuse this system thinking nothing can change, but I'm telling you it can. So when it does, remember you were notified. And you had the opportunity to be heard.

I have given lots of public notice here.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?