Monday, November 13, 2006

 

JSH: Every read Riemann's own words?

A poster claiming to be a "real mathematician" challenged me slightly about Riemann, when it turns out that yes, a while back I got a direct translation of his notes where he came up with his famous hypothesis, and I wonder, how many of you have read them?

They're kind of depressing given all the hype surrounding them, and you have to get a sense that Riemann himself would have been surprised at all of that hype.

He speculates a bit. Does a few sketchy things. And that's it.

I think a recent math person named Goldstone actually got shot down in his claims of having a proof of the Twin Primes Conjecture doing the same sketchy things that Riemann did to give you just some comprehension of the real math world.

Of course, I could be wrong on that one.

Anyone remember the criticism of Goldstone's work? Or did I get the name wrong?

How is what he did similar to what Riemann did? Or, do you claim they are completely unrelated?

If so, how did I come to my conclusion then? Just reaching?





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?