Sunday, August 13, 2006

 

JSH: Objectivity

I learned a while back to try and be VERY objective about any mathematical result, because, well, because I had some crappy ideas which I really wanted to be proofs of Fermat's Last Theorem or lead to proofs, which did not.

I remember one day after months of going on and on about some crap ideas, which I had convinced myself were brilliant, I finally realized that posters arguing with me—who I had routinely criticized and insulted for refusing to acknowledge what I thought was a brilliant idea—were right.

Can you imagine that feeling?

I felt horrible, just devastated. And I tried to convince myself I would not do that again.

And then I thought to myself, hey, maybe I just like fiddling with math stuff, and just like to do it without needing anything major, so why not just play around, not talk about it, and do it for its own sake?

So I did, and promptly figured out that weird idea of using

x+y+vz = 0 mod x+y+vz

and there I was again arguing out ideas and complaining about posters lying about the math.

But weird thing, they actually were this time!!!

So you get two things happening, I have crap ideas, which posters say are crap, and they are right, and I have good ideas, which posters STILL say are crap, and they are wrong.

I've learned to try and be objective about the entire thing and see it as an intellectual exercise where part of the solution is politics.

So I make political posts. And I am also starting to fully show some of you just what kind of impact you're looking at here, as your credibility will be shredded with the public having a full and cogent explanation for why "mathematicians" would behave this way.

It turns out you are not as strong as me, so you make up stuff, and can't stand it when it's proven wrong, so you hold on to it, while I did not.

Get it? I've been wrong before too, but I was strong enough to accept what was mathematically true, even when it hurt.

Many of you holding on to failed ideas are just not like me, and my explanation is that mathematics is a DIFFICULT SUBJECT and many of you have learned to lie about it anyway.

So, I have the full explanation for your behavior ready to give to a public that will understand, and contrast you, with me. I had my failures and handled them.

You people, on the other hand, ran away from the truth.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?