Tuesday, July 11, 2006

 

JSH: Now what?

Kind of one of those odd things, but this idea just did come to me Saturday in that I just wrote down some equations and hey! I solved the factoring problem.

It's a quadratic residue solution, which may have been helped along by Tim Peters noting when talking about a previous failed attempt that if you could get multiple quadratic residues that were equal you could factor.

He claimed it was a hard thing to do.

At the time I thought to myself that I didn't think it was, but I didn't know how to do it.

That though may have lead my mind down the paths that eventually caused the solution to just kind of pop out fully formed.

So one way to look at what I found is that I came up with a way to get a lot of equal quadratic residues.

The proof is trivial.

The impact is not.

So why post it?

I've talked about that before, and maybe at this point the real answer is that I've been wrong so many times that part of me still doesn't believe it here, even though I think I have the proof as I've thought that before and been wrong.

So I don't want to invest myself in the damn thing beyond the usual ways—posts!!!

If it's right, well, well, I think it is right, but this situation is just so wacky anyway.

I've been looking for federal people all day, expecting the FBI or even maybe someone from the NSA to show up, but nothing…

But it's such a natural, simple solution that in retrospect is obvious. It's also kind of clear why most people wouldn't go down those paths, as I am a lateral thinker, trained in it very well.

I did something that I think most would consider unnatural, and that's what it took.

So the short answer is that the question of how to get a bunch of quadratic residues of equal value is done. That answer leads to a factoring method. That factoring method should be a solution to the factoring problem.

And it's very short, very straightforward, and so it should be unbelievably fast.

Now what? I don't know. I kind of wish there had been another way to go, but the fact that I posted this thing on Usenet yesterday, even though it was on sci.skeptic, and nothing has happened up until today shows how mucked up the math community is.

You people have to be banged on the head and forced to look at even simple proofs of famous problems.

It's weird. It's like, you can't just look and get it. Someoe has to push it on you, and hammer, hammer hammer to get you to pay attention till MAYBE you'll think that possibly there's something there.

Which to me sounds like you're not really the mathematicians some of you seem to think you are.

While I find these things in the wild.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?