Sunday, June 25, 2006

 

Still a puzzle to me, my crackpot label

Not surprisingly to me as I've learned just how deep corruption runs in the modern math community, people who are a danger to that community, in terms of outing them, are either ignored—if that is possible—or they are labeled with titles like crank or crackpot.

That's not a surprise.

What has surprised me is that it doesn't matter what your real world accomplishments are, or how intelligent you've proven yourself to be, or how rational you sound, like in posts like this one, the label seems to be all-powerful.

I have yet to see anyone beat it.

Like consider Dr. Halton Arp in another field, where he is a distinguished researcher who was an assistant to Hubble himself, and he is well-known for very valid and accepted research—but he diverges from the bulk of astronomers in one key area, and they call him a crackpot.

I looked over his research in that key area, and it is sound. Yes, he has some other ideas that I think are nonsense that are related, but his primary points are solid.

Or coming back to mathematics consider Anatoly Plotnikov with a published paper that to my understanding, if correct, proves P=NP.

Did you know there is a million dollar prize for proving what he claims to have proven, back in 1998?

I have seen no refutations of his work. The Clay Institute can ignore it though because by their rules, what they will accept must have been published in a major journal.

Democracy.

It's built-in to the system.

Believe that Dr. Arp is just a nut? Think Plotnikov is just some deluded mathematician who thinks he solved P=NP?

What if Arp is right and Plotnikov was right, back in 1998?

I AM a skeptic. I see a lot of things that people say that I know are crap, or I should say, I firmly believe they are crap. But I did once pride myself on my own ability to convince people.

I do so no longer.

This group thing over research results is too powerful, even for me.

I can talk about my research, and even get people who seem convinced, but they do nothing.

Did you know I have an open source project?

It is a tool for Java developers that is a quick reference for information about classes.

It's used all over the world.

But some nobody on sci.math with no credentials or known accomplishments can reply to me calling me an idiot, talking about how my mathematics is crap, and that person is going to get more mileage than I will, no matter how carefully and thoroughly I explain.

What's wrong with this world?

Why do the people who lie and pretend to be something keep winning over the people who can actually accomplish things and have demonstrated it over and over again?

Andrew Wiles from what I've managed to deduce, has few, if any actual mathematical accomplishments.

So in terms of real mathematical ability, he is probably very low.

But clearly he has become master of a game that is about style over substance so right now he is internationally famous as supposedly one of the greatest mathematicians of all time.

But reality has a way of balancing things out.

I read about global warming and I get a sense of what's coming, when this easy life that we've had for so long begins to fade, and as intelligence becomes ever more crucial, lots of people will die.

And they will die ignorantly, unbelieving, calling out to people they trust, or to God.

Begging for rain, or for the rain to stop. Scrounging for food, even eating each other, all the time holding on to stupid and wrong beliefs that will not save them.

And as those millions of people die, this time, and these times, when people who should have been listened to, were not, won't even register in their minds.

But I plan on being prepared and surviving, thinking back later, to people like you, who had fatally wrong beliefs.

You bet on the wrong horse, so you died.

That's an epitaph I've already planned as my general one, for so many graves.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?