Tuesday, June 27, 2006

 

JSH: Latest factoring idea is crap

Ok, I accept it. My latest idea just goes in circles like all the others.

That is all.

[A reply to someone who said that at last James admited that.]

Hey, I always admit it when I'm proven wrong and realize it.

I don't see the point in holding on to wrong ideas.

In this case, the approach was just kind of thrilling, and I was just so sure that using the square root ambiguity would work, but everything I was doing was a BFC—big freaking circle.

But you know, this is fun to me. And if you realized how much fun this is you'd understand why I just love going after these problems in this way.

So my initial approach collapsed—yuck, felt terrible. Really questioned myself, and what I was doing. Posted it was crap.

Walked away, determined to move on to other things, and of course, I get another idea.

Unfortunately, I've found that's what works!!!

I need to put something out there, fight for it, be really wrong, and then, as everything collapses, and I start a pity party, wonder what is the meaning of life, etc., I get another idea.

It's a hard way to discover things, but it is the way that works for me.

It's kind of like living in Hell. No it is living in Hell. I actually think this is Hell and I'm being punished for something.

I am serious.

[A reply to someone who asked James whether or not he is a crackpot.]

Hey, I think most of this is entertainment and I say so, and have said so over years.

I AM serious about a lot of my mathematical ideas, but I also have a sense of humor and perspective about life that many of you seem to lack.

And in the big scheme of things, some guy musing about various math ideas, where most of them are wrong, even though he can get VERY convinced at times wanting something to be true that's not, is just not something that most would consider this big, bad deal.

I think for some reason many of you put on as if I should be ashamed of myself, or as if I'm this horrible person, but hey, I'm just some guy coming up with math ideas and posting about them on Usenet.

Sure I really don't like a lot of math people, as I've seen how they behave and born the brunt of a lot of abusive behavior from that community, but who would?

If you'd had math people after you like they've been after me for years, would you like them?

I'm just trying to have my little bit of fun in cyberspace, with a whole horde of mad math nincompoop people after me year after year.

Of course I don't like the bastards.

[A reply to someone who said that if James would stop posting at sci.math, then the sci.mathers wouldn't go after him.]

Censorship has always been the aim of many of you—in direct contradiction with the spirit of Usenet.

So you insult me and stalk my postings to try and get me to stop putting up my ideas on what you think are your forums.

But they are public forums. You people are no different from hoodlums hanging out in a public park attacking people to protect "their territory".





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?