Monday, April 17, 2006

 

JSH: Irreducible complexity

I know the term has a bad connotation for a lot of people, but the reason my prime counting function is impossible for most people to re-derive, even if they read the derivation of it, is that it is irreducibly complex.

So your brain has a hard time figuring out how to start, or step through the derivation, even if you've read how I did it.

I think it may be one of the few irreducibly complex mathematical results currently known, and the reason it's irreducibly complex is that you can't break it down to simpler steps to understand the derivation.

Most of my research is irreducibly complex.

It's like you kind of have to know how it all works together ahead of time, which makes me wonder how I figured it out.

Oh well. In any event, to see what an irreducibly complex mathematical result looks like, check out my Wikipedia article now in the history of the prime counting function:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Prime_counting_function&oldid=9142249

I know it's weird, and it's even weirder if you try to derive it, as your brain tells you that you can, but you just can't. Or at least, most of you can't.

If you can, then you're not normal.

And that means your brain is wired differently than just about every one else on the planet.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?