Sunday, January 22, 2006

 

JSH: Communication breakdown

Yuck. I hate feeling a need to come back to Usenet to push forward the reality that a simple counterexample would exist against my work--if it were wrong--but I'm dealing with few options.

That shutting down of an entire math journal was a good display of power of this newsgroup.

You people killed a math journal, sure, only an electronic one, but still...

And there goes the problem. I am FURIOUS about this situation.

There has been a communication breakdown for some years now and I find myself making angry postings and regretting them later, as the situation makes me so angry.

The purpose of this brief return to Usenet was to highlight the reality that no true counterexample to my research exists, and to point out an area where lots of supporting examples exist--where sci.math'ers themselves found one years ago--but also emphasize that sci.math'ers and mathematicians in general are ignoring the truth here.

But the reality is that I don't have a lot of options. Publication in the math field is political. I got one through, but math editors are on guard now, and the defense of the field is total.

The evidence that would refute me is just a single integer, but it's mathematics. Mathematical proof is perfect, so there is no counterexample, meaning that posters have to rely on social crap, as I call it.

So the impasse remains.

And every once in a while I get really, really mad and make posts that reflect that deep anger, but that's not constructive.

There is almost a total communication breakdown here.

It's time for me to use willpower and move on until the next time.

I've made my point.

My equation

a^3 + 3(-1+xf^2)a^2 - f^2(x^3 f^4 - 3x^2 f^2 + 3x) = 0

reveals the truth. You people can't actually make an objective reply, but you'll keep lying anyway, as nothing there has changed.

And I'll still be angry, but I'll do my best to quit posting again, as I've achieved my objective.

I can do this at will, after some months or even years to keep pointing out the truth, and maybe it won't matter, but at least it's something I can do, and not feel completely powerless here.

Mathematical proof hasn't mattered.

Publication in a math journal hasn't mattered.

Direct contacts with supposedly top mathematicians like Barry Mazur and Andrew Granville hasn't mattered.

Contacting a "leading" mathematician at my own school, visiting him and explaining in person getting agreement on all the key points hasn't mattered.

And maybe most importantly, getting a grad student to go through the argument and re-work it in his own words--supposedly the last defense against what is happening happening, going to grad students--hasn't mattered. I hope the Cornell University math department is proud of their notoriety.

I wonder if any of them wonder who the grad student is?

I doubt it. Human denial in the face of unwanted truths is a proven commodity.

Time to exercise some will power and stop posting for a while, until the next time, and the next gesture against the thundering herd.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?