Friday, June 11, 2004

 

JSH: Weird "mathematicians"

It tooks me a little while to figure out that many of you on this newsgroup, and a surprising number of mathematicians that I contacted, actually hate mathematics and especially algebra.

After all, mathematical results are hard in that you can't wish them away, or change them, so it amazed me for quite some time that so many of you would fight against results that I could prove with a rigor far outside of most mathematical works.

One of the more bizarre things for me a while back was when I'd step through arguments in such detail that it was like I was teaching basic arithmetic and some poster would come back and act like I hadn't said anything that made sense.

For a while I almost started to doubt myself until that pivotal day last August when I went and talked to Professor McKenzie in person at Vanderbilt University, and could watch him as I explained.

Then I knew: some of you hate algebra.

For you mathematics is a social game. You work to please a committee that you want to sign off on your math papers, but you don't actually believe in mathematics.

Now "pure math" makes sense as well as clearly it's a peacock game, where some of you see it as a way to show you as being highly intelligent and thus more desirable to women.

That "useless" aspect of "pure math" is important to you, just like it's important to the male peacock that his large tail is useless, except for getting female peacocks.

Ultimately your society got screwed by one major thing: you said factoring was a hard problem.

If it weren't for that then you could probably have gone on for another hundred years or more with massively screwed up works accepted because so many of you are like male peacocks trying to impress…someone…even other males!

But no, you told the world factoring was a hard problem so the end here was never really in doubt, as you see, the math doesn't care about your feelings or your need to impress others.

All I ever had to do was just handle the factoring thing, and it doesn't matter what you say. Some of you will probably reply to this post as if all that matters is what you say.

But in a little while the world will come for you. The clock is now ticking, and your fate is sealed.

You shouldn't hate Mother Mathematics. Hating mathematics is just a sure way to ruin. And hating mathematics while taking on the title mathematician, is just plain suicidal.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?