Monday, April 28, 2003

 

Math research can be difficult

There have been plenty of arguments on this newsgroup between me and lots of other people, but as far as I'm concerned it can be water under the bridge, which is a saying that it's past and gone.

I say that because math research is extremely unforgiving and can be difficult, while a person can find that they bump up against their own needs and wishes, but the math does not care.

Mathematics is not flexible and it doesn't bend to our whims, so it can be extremely frustrating when you're trying to work things out or pursue an idea, when things don't work out immediately or you find yourself having to go through a lot of mental gyrations to get some kind of understanding.

It also makes it fun and rewarding when you get something. Or it can be fun even if you don't personally discover something but work through to an understanding of other people's discoveries.

To me now it seems that all the past arguing can be boxed up into a nice category of passion. Passions ran high for many reasons and there was a lot of spirited debate that often got nasty.

However, there are comments in the heat of battle and then when you calm down you rethink things you've said. I'd like to address some of the ones I've made.

So, at this time, I'd like to assure you that I am not interested in making sure mathematicians worldwide get fired. I've rethought my desire to go to Congress and try to get funding for mathematicians cut.

And I see no reason to continue saying that mathematics today is a form of white collar welfare.

I do have concerns about "pure math" and the possibility it raises for people to do nothing of value to humanity, while making their work harder to understand than necessary, to hide that fact, but I'm not interested in checking further into the subject.

I do not know if Wiles's work is correct or not, and I do not care.

I do have concerns about the lack of interest in what I've called my prime counting function.

And I'm very concerned with the possibility that despite my irrefutable demonstration of the value of my ideas that people will make false arguments and claim that bogus mathematics is true, depending on a need to be believed.

That is, I'm worried the pointless arguing will continue. Now I like to argue, but I don't like arguing over things I've proven many times before.

I do not consider myself to be a mathematician. I am a problem solver.

It has been my intention to shake things up, have some fun, and hopefully get to the beach soon without worrying about little things.

I have no interest in becoming a mathematician. I don't want to go back to school. I don't want to lecture. I'm not interested in interfering in the affairs of mathematicians any more than is inevitable given my discoveries.

And I don't want to belong.

It is true that my experiences should be worth a considerable sum of money, which I hope to use primarily to help my family, as I could do ok on my own without making spectacular math finds, but I saw this as a route to helping them. It also should help others understand that human imagination and spirit is a formidable force. We all have it. It's rather neat.

And yes, my parents are approaching retirement. I'd like to have all of this handled before they reach it, thank you very much.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?