Thursday, July 18, 2002

 

Factoring large numbers, breaking RSA?

I spent seven years looking for a short proof of Fermat's Last Theorem, and felt relief when I finally found it because I thought mathematicians couldn't ignore such a cool thing when it was right in front of them.

I was wrong.

Then I found a new prime counting function, and discovered that what people had written as pi(x) was really a three dimensional function better represented by pi(x,y). More importantly the prime counting function in its difference form was simple enough for even a kid to understand, and as a differential the implications for research in both mathematics and physics were so huge that I again felt relieved,
as I thought mathematicians and physicists couldn't ignore such a wonderful discovery that could make their lives so much easier.

But I was wrong again.

It occurs to me that the only discovery I can make that won't be ignored is a way to break RSA in a couple of hours on a personal pc.

I've done more research on that since a few wild guesses years ago, and I have a Java program that factors 64 bit numbers in only a few minutes; however, I stopped playing with it because it was still way to slow to even tackle a 512 bit number, and because I debated the wisdom of such research.

You see, if I do figure out a short, simple way to factor large numbers then RSA is gone. I will post that information as I have done with everything else, which will force everyone to switch from RSA.

But that would take time.

In that time more than you realize would be vulnerable to anyone who had access to the Internet and had the method.

I decided that it wasn't worth it to me to figure something like that out, but I'm beginning to question my conclusions.

You see, if the world of physics and mathematics is as bad as it appears to me now, then maybe things in other areas are worse than we know, and the world might be better off finding that out now because of some financial crunch than finding it out later.

So, I will post my latest research in the form of a Java program I call Exper13.java later today. Then I will begin again to look for a very fast factoring method, and will not stop until I succeed in finding one that will allow anyone with a personal pc to break RSA, and thus break all encryption based on it worldwide.

It's mind boggling to me that the only way I can stop the lies is to find something that mathematicians can't lie about or ignore because it won't change anything if they do.

If they ignore the discovery when I make it, then the banks will be vulnerable until billions of dollars just float away, and people have to pay attention.

It's your choice though, still.

The program I mention is NOT the answer to that problem, but just an initial effort by me. It MAY have ideas in it that could help someone else solve the problem now, but probably it does not. It may just be a useless idea for the big problem, and I may have to find some other way after I figure that out.

In a word, it's a gamble.

I feel I have no choice, and nothing to lose at this point.

I'll post the program in eight hours.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?