Saturday, September 29, 2001

 

Why I call Magidin an incompetent liar

I was reading through replies to my posts on the newsgroup, when I noticed a reply from Arturo Magidin. He started the post by explaining how he was replying since he'd claimed to have "killfiled" me, so he wouldn't see my posts.

Some have noticed I've been particularly hard on this person. I continually maintain that he's either incompetent as a mathematician, a liar or both.

You may believe you know why.

Not too long ago I made a post stepping through my proof of Fermat's Last Theorem for p=3 that's not that much different from my Part 2. I felt that it was clearly interesting enough mathematics that a competent mathematician or an honest one would have to admit the truth, so that's what I said.

I ended that post by saying that only an incompetent mathematician or a liar could post against it. I said that because the argument is so simple, direct, and especially because it has to do with Fermat's Last Theorem.

Yet Magidin posted against it. He insinuated that the argument was false, and continued that position through repeated posts, only to finally claim that he would not discuss things further as he was killfiling me.

Some of you may think I call Magidin a liar because of the question of whether or not rational numbers find their way into the ring I use in my proof.

I'm an amateur. I can make small mistakes. I don't mind it when honest, competent people point that out to me. But I'm not such an amateur or so stupid that I will be pushed off of a correct proof by a meaningless objection.

I maintain that Magidin is indeed either incompetent as a mathematician, or more likely a liar, or both.

His objection is not a true objection. It's an observation that doesn't matter.

Some of you may have noticed that I changed the definition of my ring slightly to accomodate the points that he raised. The changes involved were small.

Yet, Magidin apparently maintains there is no value in my arguments because how else could he be off somewhere claiming to ignore my posts if he's not saying my arguments ultimately don't have any value?

He is either incompetent as a mathematician, a liar or both.

If you feel that's too harsh. If you wish to test what I'm saying then feel free to do so. As I've said before I don't mind it when people point out to me when I'm wrong.

But now you know just how angry I get when people lie about that.

Tell the truth. It's that simple people. Just tell the truth.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?